PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2012, 22:31
TURIN

Received 218 Likes on 121 Posts
I've been dieing to get into this thread but after reading the whole thing from the begining I am convinced it's just a wind up.

What were all those tubes fastened to an aerofoil in a wind tunnel showing me all those years ago. There was definately a pressure difference.

Definitions of angle of attack???

Ye gods. Chord line and airflow, (direction of flight).

Camber has ne effect on lift? What!!!

This is my favourite...

To build a working model to demonstrate there is no relevance to the energy source that produces identical airflows locally and remotely is impossible. Unless you can confine cubic miles of air and accelerate it as a unit to flow directionally past a fixed airfoil, you need to "imagine" or to "postulate" such a flow. You have my permission to attempt such an experiment.
Been there, done it and watched the sunset from 1000ft agl, parked into wind, hands off, going nowhere, dynamic (ridge) lift over the Derbyshire Peak Ditrict (UK).

I do not apologise for not understanding the deep maths quoted but try this, wrap the first inch or so of an A4 piece of paper around a pencil. Blow over the top of the paper, it will rise. Why? Diff pressure? Diverted airflow down somhow pulls the paper up?

Discuss.

I'll be back in a week.