Thread: Nicknames
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2012, 11:21
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts
Thumbs up

Not a crewroom nickname but I once knew a joiner, surnamed Mycock.
His first name was Aaron.

One of the best names I saw at an air display, where many wore spoof name badges, was an RAF pilot with a name badge annotated "Richard Head". Very good, very subtle, I thought. Unfortunately for him, as I found out later, that was his real name.

There's one regular poster here who used to wear the name badge "Walter Wall-Carpitz", or similar.

In the early 1980s, 230 (Puma) Sqn moved to West Germany. As part of staff familiarisation training we had to fly our aircraft down the inner German border, with a British Frontier Service adviser on board, to ensure that crews knew what the border actually looked like and didn't accidentally cross. We landed close by the western side of the fence for a further briefing by the BFS officer. Very soon afterwards, armed troops arrived on the eastern side of the fence in a 4 tonne truck. One of them appeared through a hatch in the roof of the cab, equipped with a camera fitted with a huge telephoto lens, to take photos of us all, presumably for the KGB records.

Many of us were wearing our false "Air display" name badges for this very eventuality. I often wonder what actually went on record.

"Comrades, I have some bad news. It appears that Ivor Biggun has defected to the west!"

Last edited by ShyTorque; 28th Oct 2012 at 11:23.