PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 3 The new beginning
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2012, 06:49
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be careful for what you wish for?

The town of Southend will soon fill up with new migrants if routes to Eastern Europe are opened up from the airport.

First it is the young men who arrive, then their girlfriends and wives. Next they have or bring over their children and then their parents move over here to work or retire.

There are so many living in Luton now that their children are shipped out to outlying area's, as the town centre schools are full. Over 50% of births in Luton are now from mothers not born in the UK.

I can catch the staff bus at Luton Airport and hear no one speak English as the Eastern European check-in staff, baggage handlers, cleaners and others that do all the other jobs that keeps the airport open arrive or leave work.

The locals who work at Southend will start to decrease and the new jobs will go to new migrants as the companies based at the airport realise that they can offer lower wages and no pay rises to keep their costs down.

So why will Southend town attract so many new migrants? It is because they will be able to get back to Poland quicker and cheaper than I can get to Blackpool by train to see my father from Luton.

Last edited by LTNman; 28th Oct 2012 at 06:53.