PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2012, 20:16
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The energy that creates lift comes from the aircraft, not the airmass. You are confusing result with cause. That is the upshot of the paper in question.

Shut the little Franklin engine down? Oh oh. You are so welded to a construct that you cannot imagine a "real-life" wing? For your purpose, donor/recipient is not important. Fine, but that leaves the Aero 101 student to catch up with you.

Like all the other assumptions you make, or remember, you miss the point.

You cannot posit an a/c under power, and then dismiss that power. That is just sloppy work on your part.sloppy. It is power creates the lift; the airmass is a bystander, regardless its relative motion v/v the Earth's surface. Your example is useless.

Why do you ignore airfoil shape? Do you disagree with me, that shape does not play a part in Lift, at its most basic?

I think the motionless wing and "moving air" may have caused the misconceptions that the authors elucidate. Since the air is "moving" it must have energy, right? Since it has energy, it can create its own low pressure area, right?

Having created its own LP, against the Laws of Newton, Lift is created? That is wrong....it does not help to model a wing that produces lift at "Zero Angle of Attack". Magic air, defying Newton, and magic wing, creating Lift from "zero".

Both incorrect, and the source of much confusion, stemming from a sloppy model.

One "assume" after another, and then come two guys ready to provide a workable Newtonian paradigm.......

To build a working model to demonstrate there is no relevance to the energy source that produces identical airflows locally and remotely is impossible. Unless you can confine cubic miles of air and accelerate it as a unit to flow directionally past a fixed airfoil, you need to "imagine" or to "postulate" such a flow. You have my permission to attempt such an experiment.

Likewise, feel free to imagine that air is not viscous, nor possessed of mass.

henra, have you located a quote where I say that energy is "created"?

Last edited by Lyman; 27th Oct 2012 at 23:12.