PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested with gun (merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2003, 22:45
RRAAMJET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Sorry, Whatshouldiuse, but this is precisely the sort of "absent mindedness" that is going to kill-off the program before it gets off the ground (I'm, like many of my colleagues, not convinced we dotted enough I's or crossed enough T's before rushing this one through). Reception to it amongst the public is lukewarm, despite the Union-sponsored surveys, and pilots have to be more responsible than ever to ensure that the "options" are left available that this program can provide (not to mention the deterrent effect).
The fact remains that some of the most enthusiastic and earliest volunteers for the training are the last people you'd want to have next to you on a flightdeck with a weapon - so called "gun nuts" - and it is imperative that fellow aviators weed these candidates out or calm them down. I personally have flown with one individual who said "...I hoped something would happen at the millenium new-year's eve, 'cos I was ready with my automatic weapons and bunker....they ain't gonna get my guns...". And he's one of the first to sign up.....God help us....