PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying an Aircraft "Howto"
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2012, 17:04
F4TCT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id like to butt in if i may as i seek similar advice.

I will soon be in a position to buy an aircraft should I want to, however I have physical limitations which complicates the matter.

Basically, due to a work accident 4 years ago, I have been left with nerve damage in my left leg and have trouble using the toe brakes.

My training was all done in a PA28 which of course has a hand brake. The rudder is not so much of an issue and I can safely operate it. I could try and use the toe brakes, however I cannot safely do it and therefore elect the handbrake.

My nerve damage has basically left me with 'foot drop' where i have very little control of the ankle movement. I can slightly point my foot, but cannot pull it back towards me. I wear an AFO splint which allows me to put force behind the rudder etc and have never had an issue.

So with this in mind, my experience is PPL + IMC + Night Qual and around 100 hours. I do plan to do my CPL ME/IR in due course, purely because I want to learn more and achieve something. I would eventually like to go on to instruct but thats another story..

My ideal aircraft would ideally be able to use my IR (in time) and my night qual. So I guess we are looking at something with C of A. My next requirement would be something relatively fast, be it a complex or simple, but able to get into farm strips (sort of 700meters or so). The last thing would be it must have a hand brake that allows safe and reliable breaking, like in the PA28.

Sorry if i sound a bit naive here, however i really have no idea of which way to turn.

I have been involved in a group which flew a reasonable little cherokee 140 out of fishburn airfield, however had to leave that in april due to finances. Didnt really do much touring as such as was limited to hours per month i could fly. It was a nice little aircraft, just like many of the warriors I flew during training, however I just wish they were faster, or atleast had less fuel burn for the speed they do.

I have seen a very interesting group based at newcastle airport, which uses a provost jet! very interesting indeed and will try and find out a little more when im up there next.

Any help appreciated

Dan