PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trim Use During Approach Phase in Visual Patterns
Old 27th Oct 2012, 14:25
Piper.Classique

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Come on, people. The OP, who is not a native english speaker, has at least done some thinking about what he is trying to achieve, which is a pilot who has some feel for the aeroplane.
He doesn't suggest not teaching correct trim, or at least I don't think this is what he is advocating. As far as I can interpret his post, and I agree it is not entirely clear, he is saying that he does not advocate trimming out a transient load, and is emphasizing the need to be able to hold a required attitude.

Sevenstrokeroll says it better...

Once the plane is in trim on final, no application of trim to make the flare should be done...here is where the muscles can actually feedback speed info to the pilot...the heavier the yoke the slower you are going towards
touchdown speed (vref minus 5 or so...down to a full stall landing).
I certainly take issue with

When turning on base power is reduced, a/c will naturally put the nose
down looking for that 75 kts he wants, here the pilot stop the nose drop just by means
of the elevator in order to obtain a lower airspeed, lets say 70 kts.
If he means that is the last time he expects the trim to be used, which would imply nose heavy on base leg and final approach. Or is he trying to say trim after the turn from downwind to base? As the base leg and the final approach are not transient phases, yes of course the aircraft should be trimmed correctly. As indeed it should for all steady states. But once the attitude and power are set on final or anywhere else would you expect a retrim for every gust?

I don't think we need to be rude to each other here, there is enough of that elsewhere on the forums.

I wondered how some schools were managing a 4 day FI Course, now we know!
Seriously, Whopity? Four days? Please name and shame!