PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin service in BA economy on 747/777
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2012, 12:44
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueTui
My airline manages to offer china cups and full English breakfast in premium... Why can't a much bigger airline???
Because, unless things have changed dramatically, YOUR airline charges extra at the point of booking for meals, as well as on board for drinks, headphones and pretty much everything else. Your holiday, your choice?

For all those wondering what has happened to the food on board aircraft, two points. (And please bear in mind, I am talking about your basic point a to point b tickets, not premium cabins)

One - it is a form of transportation. Not a restaurant. (Although, airline advertising execs have to take some of the blame here for somewhat over estimating what can be done with an aircraft oven!)

Two - no one wants to pay for it anymore. Prices that would once have been considered bargain basement are now the norm. Bit by bit, ticket prices have been driven down to ridiculous levels. If you don't believe me, do a comparison from even 15 years ago. Once you take out what the government and airport has nicked, there's not a whole lot left over.

This ideology that it's everyone's right to fly, no matter what their circumstances, has forced ticket prices down. Running costs have gone up, and up, and up a bit more. Something has to give.

That's not to say I like handing out a solitary muffin and paper cup of coffee. But that's the reality and apparently what the paying public want.

Last edited by jetset lady; 27th Oct 2012 at 12:46.