PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No more Vulcan from next year
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2012, 12:24
tantalite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

My first recollection of the Vulcan was seeing VX770 crash, I waqs a child and my ex-RAF parents always took me to Battle of Britain at home days.
As an ex Gen Fitt who spent from 1967 to 1972 on and around Vulcans I think it is sad to see the Vulcan go. I was at Waddo for the last RAF flight and have seen 558 at Farnborough and Eastbourne as well as seeing it many times at Brize when it operated from there before I retired from indstry.
As for the Reds, spent a year at Valley on the Bomber Dispersal, '69 -70 before a year on the Goose, Gnats were exciting, seeing the Reds at Eastbourne over the last few years find the Hawk totally boring, probably due to health and safety restrictions!
Attended a private day at Kemble on an invite from the late Dave 'Doom' Longden, where the Reds and his own display was superb despite the Reds flying a 7 ship display due to the tragic collision that claimed 4 lives.
In '72 I was at Locking for the 50th anniversary of the Radio School, the Reds display there was possibly the most exciting thing I have ever seen.
MoD would spend their money better by retiring the Reds and sponsoring a complete refit allowing 556 to display for the forseeable future!!
But then I AM baised!!

Last edited by tantalite; 27th Oct 2012 at 12:30.