PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe - 6
Thread: FlyBe - 6
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2012, 11:47
JobsaGoodun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but why set up a tiny base at EMA at the expense of a long standing and better airport in BHX?
If the question is why go into EMA? then I would say that the main reason is to prevent anyone else seizing an opportunity to come in, and begin tempting passengers away from Flybe's BHX routes. Far from this being a threat to Flybe's BHX operation, I see it as a way of bolstering this and making it more defendable. At least this way whether the preference for the passenger is EMA or BHX, Flybe gets the revenue!

The EMA routes taken on by Flybe were warm and well supported. It is impossible to know if Baby were using the EMA domestics to subsidise their other EMA services, or the other way around, but Flybe clearly believe that they have the right high frequency business model, with the right fleet to make routes like this work and given that Flybe dominate regional services outside of London within the UK, I'd have to say that they're probably right.

On the subject of BHDIOM, although this was a Flybe branded service, the decision to operate will have been Loganair's. I'm sure there would have been discussion with Flybe but it would have been Loganair that saw and opportunity and bore the operational costs if the route lost money. This is the case in most franchise operations. All Flybe licence or influence is the use of their brand - they would not make the operational decisions.

In respect of LGW, then I guess whatever will happen, will happen. Running 2 Q400 flights per day, one morning and one evening to provide decent business links will cost more than a once a day Airbus service proposed from EZY. As a result, flybe will have to charge more to cover their costs.

For the business user, if Flybe were to dip out then this could result in the end of day-trips to LGW, or much reduced time in London as it would be very likely that EZY would base their aircraft at LGW rather than IOM. Overnight stays would be required with all the associated costs. There will always be those who are happy to pay for the convenience and those who won't. It's impossible to say at this stage what the situation will be.

....but using ABZLGW as an example, this route is being closed by BE, a route that offered 3 flights per day. EZY are continuing their twice daily service but critically, they are not basing the aircraft in ABZ, choosing instead to keep thi in LGW. The first flight ex ABZ will no longer arrive LGW at 0830am, instead it will be 11am with EZY and rather than a choice of return flights to ABZ at 1630 and 1930 there is just one at 1800hrs. Sure the prices are cheaper and for many this is all they will be concerned about but ABZ business travellers can always jump on BA to LHR - in the IOM that choice isn't there.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see but EZY are no saviour and AirLCY raises a valid point that once they have the market, the costs will rise. Are Flybe the cheapest around....no they're not but they do provide local jobs to local residents in the IOM which EZY most likely will not.

Last edited by JobsaGoodun; 27th Oct 2012 at 11:51.