PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a Cub - tips?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2012, 04:06
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
J.A.F.O.,

I was going to add my 2 cents worth of advice for Chris, but first I have to say what a wonderful description of your tailwheel training. If I wasn't already qualified, I would want to go out and get trained immediately.

Chris,

Two pieces of advice, which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet.

Firstly, always continue to fly the aircraft until you are down to a walking-pace and preferably until you have parked and shut-down.

Secondly, if there is any significant wind, always taxi with the stick in the "downwind" corner of the cockpit.

As others have said, your endorsement is just a licence to learn. After several hundred hours of tail-wheel flying, I remember thinking I'd cracked it, when I finally felt comfortable doing two-point wing-down landings with a maximum-demonstrated crosswind component. Of course, after that I still had a few surprises, but I've never had a full ground loop!

At the risk of receiving some flak, I have to say, based on my few hours in a Super Cub, that I think the cockpit is an ergonomic slum, particularly compared to the Citabria family.

Don't mix up the carb heat and cabin heater controls. When I was getting checked-out, it took me four circuits before I realized why my feet were getting warm on short final.

Last edited by India Four Two; 30th Oct 2012 at 07:33.