PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2012, 21:30
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hats Off.

To SC Graham K. Anderson of the QPS Forensic Crash Unit and the QPS for their support of his endeavours. This team did a great job in difficult circumstances, without much assistance for the 'official' end of town.

Just finished reading his report on the Hempel incident, it is impressive. More so when compared to the ATSB effort on Norfolk. However, the following extracts (typed by me, errors expected) are of interest and make me even more curious about why the QPS were not only not given assistance and resources, but it appears actually hindered and ignored.

I know the NSW police do a great job for the Coroner and now we can see that the QPS can do equally as well. Perhaps it's time we gave the police services full authority to investigate all aviation matters. An untarnished, pragmatic factual report like the Hempel one would be of greater benefit to the Courts than the obfuscated mess we are left to deal with now. (If and when we ever get them and they are of some value).

QPS - Forensic Crash Report – Part 1.

B1-3: Upon decisions by the CASA and the ATSB not to examine the cause of this incident, the investigation was conducted by the QPS.

B1-4: It is not only my duty to enquire into the circumstances surrounding this incident but to also make recommendations that may assist in the prevention of other associated matters.

B1-44: A QPS incident log states that the ATSB will not be attending as it does not fit their criteria.

B1-45: On the 15 th January 2009 SC Bourke was advised that CASA legal department had decided that no further material would be released to the QPS to assist with this investigation.
Note : Michael Quinn DCEO CASA did not respond to a written request from SC Bourke. ( I wonder why ever not? when did Quinn depart the realms of power, anyone remember)?

Sorry there are only a few, the document is 'secured' and it is difficult to grab quotes.

Last edited by Kharon; 26th Oct 2012 at 21:35.