PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How should I go about my training...
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2012, 21:21
mi2ka2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How should I go about my training...

Hi guys,

I'll try to keep this short but I'm really interested to learn whether or not my plan of action sounds sensible or not.

I am 26, half way through ATPL ground studies, with 150 hours PPL only, started at age 17 BUT the license itself has now expired and I have not flown for a couple of years. I am full time employed (4 days week) as a train driver (shift work) with a master degree in engineering.

Over the next 6 months I will be completing the ATPL ground studies without fail. After that I was planning on gettting my PPL back in date, complete a night rating and the 300NM flight and jump straight into the CPL. I plan to have this completed by July. This much I have funds for.

After this I am a bit stuck.

I don't really want to quit my current job as it pays the bills but I would like to fly for the other 3 days of the week. I get about 50% of weekends off work, and my days off are known at least 6 months in advance.

What options should I look into with the AIM of flying for 'free' - i.e. I do not want to keep paying for flying. I would treat this 'second job' as a hobby. For example, if I got an instructor rating, I would be happy to sit all day at an airfield and only fly for say 1 hour.

I would like to mix the 2 jobs together for a few years, but before I am 30, I would like to have progressed into just the aviation career without a too huge pay drop!

Any suggestions? Is this sensible? Would you alter anything?

I'll be eagerly awaiting for any replies...