PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 26th Oct 2012, 17:29
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a pretty good idea from these discussions what my own SOP will be when I take up some rental time on a Cirrus! Still looking forward to meeting up with you!
Me to

I don't think any if us practice force landings without power nearly enough and yet that subject has not even figured in these discussions!
Maybe they do not need too anymore ?
Disagree, yes it is good practice, after the last Chute discussion I did some dead stick landings from directly overhead Rochester, EGTO at 2000ft, the first one might have made a mess of some houses if it had been real, the 2nd two were very good.

I suppose everyone would argue it is easy to arrive on the airfield from 2000ft directly overhead, but I think even that is not that easy to do everytime and not come up short, so it reinforced my limitations in this situation, but I will continue to practice, when you come down we can do a dozen.

"I've got a 'chute, so I don't need/won't bother to maintain proficiency in pfl's" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: if the engine quits for real, you pull the 'chute because you're not in current practice.
Sillert I see your point but I think plenty without a chute are lousy at PFL's, how many time do they come up short and the instructor says, shall we have another go?

Remember also the need to keep current in case the engine quits below 'chute deployment height. Establishing the aircraft in a glide configuration still needs to be an automatic reaction if it suddenly goes quiet.
very good point EFATO get the nose down, you wont be gliding for long but keep it flying is essential and aim for the most open spot seen.

At higher altitudes if you fully trim back it pretty much gives you best glide speed so you can then concentrate more on getting it started, looking for a landing spot, or deciding when to pull.