PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 26th Oct 2012, 16:47
An0maly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that is your best corrected acuity then I'm afraid you don't get an EASA class 1 or 2 medical as both require 6/6 binocular vision , you can however get a LAPL which is the EASA equivalent of the NPPL .

I myself am in the same boat having recently been to see the good people at Gatwick and passed all the Class 1 tests except for the basic eye chart where I scored ( 6/6 -1 ) which means I always miss 1 letter on the 6/6 line as I can't clearly differentiate between O & C , P an F , etc ) on the standard eye chart however I can see 6/5 on the HTOV chart . I was told that even though functionally there is nothing wrong with my eye sight , I fall on the wrong side of 6/6 and thats what the rule says . Also as the Snellen chart is standard , my HTOV results are meaningless , the CAA handbook of Ophthalmology says no mistakes on the standard 6/6 .

My problem can not be corrected by lenses as it is caused by Amblyopia which is a Brain-Eye dysfunction and not refractory in nature . I suggest you go see an Optheometrist to find out why your best corrected is 6/7.5 and if Laser will help or not . Otherwise , you could look in to getting an FAA PPL with a class 3 medical to get around LAPL restrictions , however with EASA rules coming down hard on foreign non commercial licenses and aircraft then it might be a bit pointless . FAA also allows you to get a license with a SODA ( medical flexibility ) , but not sure if you can get Class 1 or 2 with that and even if you could then you'd have to get a job on N-Reg .

Best of luck and hope you can be corrected to 6/6 , I myself am rather miffed at how close I am and the lack of application of common sense ...

Last edited by An0maly; 27th Oct 2012 at 22:47.