PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 20 Spitfires found in Burma
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2012, 10:32
AEROMEDIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"They were just buried there in transport crates," Cundall said. "They were waxed, wrapped in greased paper and their joints tarred. They will be in near perfect condition."
I hate to disappoint all those enthusiasts about these wonderful aircraft, if they exist, but there is no way they can be buried for seven decades with the type of preservation described and survive intact enough for re-assembly.
Waxed, wrapped in greased paper, joints tarred (I assume the joints of the crates) just does not do it for this length of time and buried deep enough to be forgotten about and undiscovered.

It's doubtful that they were intended to be retrieved at all as the circumstances at the time meant hiding them enough to ensure the Japanese didn't find them.

Cundall is plain wrong and that will be found out in time.

The preservation procedures of the time may provide protection for internals of reduction gearboxes, some engine components and the like. Airframe, flight controls and components, bearings and fuel systems are not so lucky.

I wish sincerely that I am wrong and I would like to think that there is a possibility that there could be at least ONE pristine, dare I think, AIRWORTHY example that might exist.

Even then, you would have to disassemble all sections,completely replace wiring (mandatory), spend lots of money overhauling components, engine, avionics, etc. and a minefield of compliance issues.

I hope that there will be enough bits for a complete aircraft for museum display.