PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - life expectancy of ATCO
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2012, 09:30
LeftBlank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get out when you can!

In reply to the original post-there are plenty of studies that have proved a higher than average mortality for shift workers.I remember management at LATCC getting very concerned about one years ago.Any results for pilots and controllers as a group are always skewed because of the requirement to pass a medical to remain working means on average a slightly better physical fitness,diet,not smoking etc.That and a higher than average desire to get the job done leads to statistics that show less time off for sickness than the general population.
You'll always get the odd person who lives to a ripe old age despite smoking drinking and cleaning nuclear reactors....it's the majority that would prove something.
Interestingly when I left ATC after years of 6 on 3 off and nights every cycle my overall health and sleeping improved quickly and dramatically even when having to report at 0500 some days in my new job.
Mrs LeftBlank was shocked the difference not doing nights and those early earlies led to both our lives.