PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2012, 22:02
cyclic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
technically there does not seem to be a causal connection between the two 225 shaft failures on the one side and the 332 sun gear failure on the other side
I think you will find that the epicyclic failure was the final result - probably. There still hasn't been a definitive answer as to the cause. The likelihood of it being due to the shaft is unlikely as you say but it is still an unexplained MGB failure. The shaft failures are not a stand alone issue, hence why there are different inspection periods for the L2 and 225 fitted with the suspect shaft part numbers. A MGB failure like this hadn't been seen before and as EC quite happily quote the thousands of safe hours flown by the fleet (before the last 3 years), it is a possibility that something else has/had changed. I'm afraid, without being overly dramatic, I don't believe a great deal that is being said by EC. We were told they had identified all the suspect shafts, they hadn't. They issued the same AD as last time and yet hours later, our national authority effectively overule it for flying over the water. It doesn't inspire confidence in a leading manufacturer and we must have this confidence so that we can transfer this faith in the aircraft to the passengers in our care.