PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trim Use During Approach Phase in Visual Patterns
Old 25th Oct 2012, 18:14
Sillert,V.I.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I detest flying out-of-trim & think this is a bad idea for the reasons expounded by MJ & others. I'd have thought at the circuit bashing stage it would just make it that much harder for the student to nail attitude/airspeed & flying with neutral stick/yoke force down to the flare just seems to me to be the right way of doing things.

On the occasions I've flown gliders I've found most BGC instructors teach flying the last part of the approach 'out-of-trim'; this feels unnatural to me (as does speeding up for the approach!) & if I don't retrim I really have to concentrate to prevent the airspeed bleeding off on short final.

In addition, learning to feed in some forward pressure (and hopefully a bit of rudder correction too) when advancing the throttle for the go-around will engender good habits in students that will help prevent nasty incidents if they ever transition to more powerful types.

And on a tapered wing PA-28, the trim change that accompanies the first stage of flap extension/retraction would make this decidedly uncomfortable.

Last edited by Sillert,V.I.; 25th Oct 2012 at 19:37.