PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - life expectancy of ATCO
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2012, 13:32
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is only a problem if you do permanent nights in your shift instead of a mixture of spins.

I used to and it was only when I started mixing things up a bit that I realised how tired the nights made me - residual tiredness more than anything as I always recovered well after a nightshift (or thought I did), getting by with the sleep I got on unit plus a couple of more hours at home in the morning.

The shifts we do in NATS are, I believe, the least intrusive - two nightshifts in ten days is less tiring than going out on the razz on a Fri and Sat night when working Mon-Fri.

Working spins is easy - and I find sleep patterns are not affected.

As for illnesses and cancer - I know from friends and family not in ATC that the incidence of both is as high outside. Remember in the case of cancer, detection rates are rising which is why we hear of it more often. In days gone by, people died and then, when they were cut open (if at all - the old and infirm are usually not), the cancer was fund after the fact.

However I d agree with DC10RealMan - get out as soon as you can - any job, not just ATC must impact on you the older you get. No point in working yourself to an early grave when you can be spending your pension!!!

Last edited by anotherthing; 25th Oct 2012 at 13:33.