PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R22 MAP drop in forward flight, no collective movement
Old 24th Oct 2012, 20:06
JB77UK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question R22 MAP drop in forward flight, no collective movement

Hi guys,

I think I know the answer to this, but I'd like some clarification from the many collective hours of experience on this forum:

On the R22, as you start your climb out, lets say you are pulling 22" MAP. Now lets say you have climbed at 55 knots and are now at your cruise altitude. So you push forward on the cyclic to attain 80 knots straight and level, but you have NOT lowered the collective, but the MAP drops. Why is that?

I am assuming that better blade efficiency in the increased horizontal airflow has lowered the amount of 'work' you are asking the rotor system to do and to maintain 104% rotor & engine RPM, the governor has lowered the throttle slightly, thus causing a reduced MAP?

I have also noticed something similar when turning crosswind to downwind - my MAP has dropped with no lowing of the collective although I'm not so sure why that might be. In an auto I know a turn loads up the disc and ups the RPMs but in powered flight?

I have always been taught the collective correlator affects MAP and roughly approximates correct RPM, while the governor fine tunes the RPM, with no mention of the governor affecting MAP - but it makes sense that it would.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Jay