PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 24th Oct 2012, 16:27
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
007 There is nothing on the face of it wrong with a comfort factor as being more relaxed flying makes for better pilots but with it comes the awareness that the chute takes you to places that no other beer reaches and that maybe a pint too much
Pace I think in a rational sense there is merit to consider the scenarios you give and human nature is such that we factor in the pro's and cons of doing anything risky and make our decision, so yes in some way it expands the envelope of risk or comfort we are prepared to take.

For some it may just be to risky to fly a SEP without a chute, I now have flown nothing else (other than helicopters) for the last 4-5 years and for me I personally prefer the Cirrus I feel comfortable and confident in and am not sure how I would feel about going to a non BRS aircraft as a permanent option, it would feel like a backward step and in my mind increase my risk.

My partner would strongly agree and in many ways I feel partners and uninformed passengers think it is "ammazing and fantastic to have a chute" and they have an over optimistic view of its value but it certainly makes the uninformed feel much safer.

I am trying to think about my own situation and in the cold light of day, I would have to confess yes it does expand my risk taking, lets use IMC as an example, I am reasonably proficient but would not say great in IMC. I do value the Autopilot greatly for long journeys and times of high work load, I know I would not do many long journeys in a non auto pilot, non glass, non BRS equipped aircraft because I am use to these tools and I would now feel unsafe and partially naked without them.

If they fail me I train and practice and think I can do a reasonable job of getting back to the ground intact.

But yes, if I get over whelmed and can not cope with the conditions, then in reality that last resort is there, and to some degree even if only subconsciously it must effect my decision making.

Last edited by 007helicopter; 24th Oct 2012 at 16:32.