PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow Airport - JET 2 smoke in cockpit - emergency services called
Old 24th Oct 2012, 13:53
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shy Talk

I agree about the cool heads being needed.

The problem is that at what moment does keeping a cool head become ignoring a real problem ?

Because fire on an aircraft is such a serious problem I think the industry has to except that there are going to be few false alarms. Even taking just the money into account (without the human costs) if you avoid the destruction of one aircraft because of fifty false alarms you would still be in Proffit.

Some on this forum might see this as some empty headed bimo panicking, I take the view that it was a Cabin Crew member who had to take a split second decision and that decision was the safe option.

I am told that if Fire is suspected it is Jet2 SOP to the evacuate the aircraft immediately, perhaps ( and I mean perhaps) if the SOP gave the captain an option of some thinking time after the stop then the aircraft would not have been evacuated.

In my opinion all the crew did an excellent job within the scope of the company SOP's