PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Security officials surround aircraft; threaten to arrest passengers
Old 24th Oct 2012, 13:06
billboard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to be more objective.

I agree with all the arguments in favor of dealing with the passengers in a caring manner. After all this is a service industry. However, i am also in favor of drawing some solid lines which must never me crossed. Entering a cockpit with an intention to intimidate a pilot into operating a flight is in my opinion unlawful interference. Technically the pilot did her job. We have to be more objective about this.

Lets now visit the question of diffusing the situation. What if, while trying to diffuse the situation, the situation had instead escalated? What if some of the passengers(one of whom allegedly issued a threat to kill the commander) had forced the pilot to T/O and operate in dangerous conditions? Some of us would then have faulted the pilot for not raising an alarm at the first sign of trouble. Better be safe than sorry.

The passengers have a right to know certain things about the flight. Masalama's words on the appropriate use of the PA is exactly what crossed my mind when i first heard about this incident. I would be interested to know whether the passengers were explicitly informed that FDTLs are a legal requirement. If yes, then the airline should back the pilot.

I do condemn the behavior of the airline management for not making better arrangements for the passengers. But then market forces will make sure than AI(or Indian taxpayers?!!) will have to pay a price for that.

Usually, even somebody who normally does not posses a good civic sense tries to be decent at the airports. There must be a reason for that. By tolerating unruly behavior we are welcoming rowdiness into Aviation. Do we want that to happen?