PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 24th Oct 2012, 10:54
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace - I wasn't going to contribute again but honestly yours is a ridiculous argument. Of course some pilots might just about be stupid enough to rely on the chute, but you cant hold back developments such as this on the strength of your argument. I know more than a few pilots who would be really uncomfortable flying with a six pack they are so accustom to glass screens and all the extra help they provide, all sorts of changes in car engineering makes it much safer to be on the road .. .. .. so what is your point, lets not have chutes because they might encourage a few pilots to fly in conditions beyond their ability? I know plenty of instrument pilots that would find flying without an AI in IMC way beyond their ability - and its always been that way and probably always will, so do we outlaw AIs? In fact how many pilots would set off these days without an AI, but once upon a time no one had an AI in their aircraft. They hadn't been invented. No, we teach pilots new technology as well as we can, we encourage them to understand the risks and pitfalls, we explain the risks of over confidence and why you might want to still be able to fly the aircraft without a functioning AI but if they don't like the message or don't want to listen its called free will.

So I just don't understand your point - sorry.

What is it you want to do?

Ban chutes?

Teach pilots more of their possible shortcomings - well I think you will find almost all Cirrus pilots are a pretty well informed lot these days - some may have come to a different conclusion that you, but I would suggest that is their prerogative.

Legislate to ensure no one could argue they haven't been informed? It doesn't work! We inform smokers every day that it will kill you if you smoke, but they keep buying the packs. They actually pay to kill themselves. You can tell pilots till you are blue in the face dont rely on the chute - but some will. You can tell instrument pilots how important it is to keep current, to be able to fly on partial panel etc., but some will fly without being current and some will suffer become partial panel and lose control.

What is it you seek?