PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many single engine piston hours are enough?
Old 24th Oct 2012, 10:51
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe it's based all on just how may SE hrs one has it's more the exposure & the type of flying that has been accumulated along the way in an A/C.And that could be made up of SE,gliders & of course multi's.
I recall a guy applying for a job at a Co I used to work for who had around 3000 hrs with 2000+of those hrs R/H seat basic instructing. Very few Multi IFR hrs out there in the real Chtr world. He knew stuff all about what's out there beyond the flying schools front door!
I'd rather hire a pilot who had say 1500 hrs total with say 500 of those hrs Multi ad hoc Chtr. Someone whom can think on their own two feet outside of the training area.
CMD decision making is what it's all about,flying a plane for the sake of it is the easy bit ,you don't need to be that bright (look at me !)...hell monkeys could do it !
500 to a 1000 hrs SE after that you don't gain that much more experience I reckon just numbers in the logbook.

Wmk2