PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 24th Oct 2012, 08:18
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the main threat? The pilot!!!
Yep that is true.

No one forces them to launch into xyz weather, terrain, or make a journey, it is down to PIC decision making.

Arguments about new technology, training, marketing, all have valid pro's and con's but at the end of the day PIC is responsible for the conduct of that flight.

Maybe one way of looking at it, take a Pilot like me, and a Pilot like Pace. We have different levels of experience but given the choice ( I Think) would both prefer access to a modern aircraft, call it a SR22 with a BRS Chute. We have a different outlook on when and why to use it. The aircraft is equipped with Modern avionics.

Are we any safer than in a PA28 with steam gaugues? maybe marginally.

Are we more likely to kill our selves in one type or another? probably not.

Is my or his SOP for forced landings that big a deal in actual life expectancy ? probably not.

So from what I have read while we both have a different outlook and level of training we are both likely relatively safe with our SOP.

Take a poorly trained, poor decision maker, big risk taker, not very experienced Pilot and put them in either aircraft and on average I am guessing they would have a similar chance of killing themselves in either aircraft.

So yes, in my opinion it is the Pilot.