PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on how to be stable by 1000 feet. What NOT to do?
Old 24th Oct 2012, 03:53
cactusbusdrvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA, good point about the open descent scenario I talked about. That is why I specified only to FAF altitude and yes, you would have to arm the APP button.

We have a lot of slam dunks in the US. The approach into SNA is typical of what I am speaking of. You are coming in over the Coast mountains about 15 miles from the runway. The MVA is 5700' for a sea levelish (50') airport. If you get the left base entry to the localizer you have to lose 3500 feet in about 8 or 9 miles. That's the scenario I was asking about.or our approach into PANC at night. Over the Chugash mountains at 8000 feet, descending over the water abeam the airport at 6000', cleared the approach. You have to dump it down with flaps 2 and speed brakes, the gear if you keep 250kts until base. It becomes a challenge to manage the energy properly, a challenge that makes the job a lot more than "just driving the bus".

As for getting on the trainee for flaps 1 at 13 miles? Utter stupidity. Unless you are number one with no one else around I would expect that ATC wants you at 180 to 210 kts. That's calling for flaps 1.

Be conservative but also be willing to push your comfort level. The idea is to minimize drag and keep fuel flow to a minimum until you must be spooled and stable, be it at 1000' AGL or 500' AGL. Hopefully you as a new guy will have an experienced check airman that will be competent enough to let you work this out for yourself.

Remember,a experienced pilot is just someone who screwed up but lived to learn the lesson. (tongue in cheek there for the humor challenged).