PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many single engine piston hours are enough?
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 22:51
Leatherdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find myself in the airlines now and looking back at my stepping stones, the single biggest error I made was leaving a job before securing a new one. I ended up out of work for 12 months, not current, and back at the same office asking to start work again. I was lucky I left on good terms.

Focus on applying to all the companies you want to work for next. Keep current on your type at your current job and network people who pass though. Ring them up and humbug them for a chance. If they don't have anything, keep them talking to develop a relationship. Ask for advise and guidance for your next step, before long their defencive maner will loosen. Next time you call they'll remember you and give you a real and honest answer, perhaps even a contact. Consider NOT hiding your networking from you current boss, he/she maybe able to help, nothing helps more than a glowing recommendation.

I've seen other blokes leave a modest gig and driving off into the sunset never to be seen in the industry again.

The airlines have gone VERY quiet. See this as your chance to get cracking and be ready for the next pilot intake. Total time is just as valuable as twin, turbine, etc.

Best of luck mate, take lots of pictures/movies and really enjoy the tough life, you will look back with the fondest memories. Be nice to the nurses and teachers and resist the urge to fly low along Cable Beach. Stay safe.

Leatherdog.