PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 22:48
Danny42C

Canopies and Signals Squares.

Yamagata Ken,

You are correct in your belief. IIRC, it was included in the Vital Actions before take-off and landing in all types where it was possible.

In the earlier smaller-hood Spitfires, there was an extra safety-measure. The fold-down cockpit flap had a double catch to close (like the one on your car door). The drill was: pull your hood full back, then open door on the second catch. That would move the hood rail on top of the door some half-inch outward, making it impossible for the hood to fly forward whatever happened, until you got airborne. Then, of course, you had to fully close your door before you could close the hood (and reverse rigmarole downwind for landing).

I might have had some sympathy with the Me109 pilot (side swing-over hood) until I met the Meteor T7 (same arrangement) and decided to save sympathy for self (for of course you couldn't take off with that lot hanging over the side).

I'm not sure, but I don't think we left any of the later "balloon" canopies (all power-driven) open in the air. Certainly not the (pressurised) Vampire, they would get ripped off by the airflow..........D.

Chugalug,

Thanks for the link. Yes, it's all there where we remember it. Takes us back to the early days when the place was called the "Watch Office", in which dwelt the "Duty Pilot" with binoculars, an exercise book and a stub of pencil on which he recorded our comings and goings.

They often had a notice outside:"VISITING CAPTAINS REPORT HERE". Didn't we feel grand !

Don't think the USAAC had anything more than a "T". (Could be wrong, as you well remember, I can forget a whole camp without difficulty !)

Thank you both for rescuing our Thread from the doldrums,

Goodnight, Danny.