PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 13:54
Iver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt PPrune May Need To Get New Type Rating @ Virgin As 4-Engined Airplanes Leaving

Not surprising news given fuel costs - instead very logical considering the performance and capacity of newer aircraft with fewer "breakable" engines. However, this does contradict the interest in adding A380s to the line-up....

The title of this thread reflects a great post by Pprune website's founder (current Virgin 744 FO I believe) a few years back about how much he enjoyed the 400 and wished to remain on the aircraft until retirement. I have enjoyed every comment made by Capt. Pprune about his flying experiences - especially on the Whale @ Virgin. Obviously fleets change with economics and competition. Sounds like a 787-900 or even a 777-300ER may be in his future - which I think is very positive for both him and the passengers. Change is sometimes a good thing.

As a big Boeing fan myself and a Virgin customer on numerous occasions in the past, I am hoping for more Boeing orders.

See news story below:

Virgin closing on selection of 747-400 and A340-600 replacement
By: Max Kingsley-Jones London
11:49 22 Oct 2012

Virgin Atlantic expects to decide soon on a type to replace its Airbus A340-600s and Boeing 747-400s as part of its drive to phase out four-engined aircraft.

The airline is introducing Airbus A330-300s and - from summer 2014 - Boeing 787-9s to replace some of its A340s and is examining potential replacements for the rest of its larger widebodies.

Virgin Atlantic chief executive Steve Ridgway told Flightglobal's Airline Business magazine in the November issue cover interview that the airline is "rapidly moving out of four-engined aircraft - we have to do that because of where we seeing fuel costs going".

He says Virgin has had a request for proposals out with the manufacturers "for some time now" and is examining the options. "We will make a decision relatively soon about what we replace our remaining A340-600s and 747-400s with," he adds.

Ridgway envisages deliveries will take place in the 2015-2020 timescale, depending on the lease returns of its current fleet. Types under evaluation include the A350-900 and -1000, and various Boeing alternatives including the 777-300ER and proposed new developments.