PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expired ATPL , is there any hope?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 13:34
Wildbluewander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i was wrong about the CAA, they sent a response within 24 hours and it is pretty thorough...........

From the CAA:

In reference to your email regarding the renewal of your UK ATPL(A), I have set out the responses to your specific points below;

I have recently decided to return to aviation and was looking to renew my ATPL when questions were raised by the expiry date of my initial IR being beyond the 7 year period. I was under the impression that my license was being kept active by my full green rating which i completed each year and so it came as a shock today to hear i may be required to redo some of the theory exams i have already done.

The requirements for the maintenance of an IR are set out in Part-FCL FCL.625, this is unchanged to the requirements set out in JAR-FCL 1 and the ANO which was clarified in LASORS 2010. I have copied the relevant text below for your review;

FCL.625 IR(A) – Validity, revalidation and renewal

(c) Renewal. If an IR(A) has expired, in order to renew their privileges applicants shall:

(1) go through refresher training at an ATO to reach the level of proficiency needed to pass the instrument element of the skill test in accordance with Appendix 9 to Part-FCL; and
(2) complete a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to Part-FCL, in an aeroplane.

(d) If the IR(A) has not been revalidated or renewed within the preceding 7 years, the holder will be required to pass again the IR theoretical knowledge examination and skill test.

Therefore, should you seek to renew your IR you are required to retake the IR exams, complete refresher training at an ATO and pass a proficiency check on an aircraft Class/Type for which you are qualified.

Please could you tell me what i must do in order to renew my license to a full ATPL or equivalent.

To renew your UK ATPL is an administrative process that requires you to apply and pay the associated fees, you must also hold a valid Part-MED Class 1 medical certificate on the day you apply. However, as above, you would not hold any IR privileges on this UK ATPL(A) and only valid Classes or types on the day of application will be endorsed on the licence. this may not be converted to a Part-FCL ATPL(A) unless you meet the IR renewal and type rating requirements applicable for conversion. You would also be subject to any Medical Operational Limitation codes which may be specified on your Medical certificate (if any).

Additionally, should you seek to convert your UK ATPL(A) to a Part-FCL ATPL(A), you must satisfy the conversion requirements of Annex II to the EASA Aircrew Regulation in a multi pilot Aeroplane type on which you qualify. The full requirements are set out in CAP 804, Section4 ,Part P which may be viewed or downloaded from the CAA website.
Could be worse........