PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod XV230
Thread: Nimrod XV230
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2012, 07:45
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm also a little bit surprised that, notwithstanding the issues with earlier marks of Comet (I think that's where you are coming from), the design pedigree of the Nimrod was always in doubt. Like Betty, I flew the jet in the 90's; I thought - and still think - that we were world beaters!

Have I got the right end of the stick?
I'm struggling with your statement that the design was always suspect???!!
For sure guys, she was a great bit of kit. I'm reflecting on the history (writ large if you will) of the airframe...end to end.

Amongst the basic flaws, well known from the comet...

Lack of cabin size. This was why the 707 was picked over the comet by the US airlines. It had major downstream ramifications in the AEW project, because it was so hard to squeeze all the kit in (plus it's cooling systems). Kinda ironic that the AEW project was kicked into touch in favour of a 707 based AWACs.

Lack of endurance. Even the MR1, with it's clean lines, struggled to make nine hours. The MR2 was much worse as it gathered up so many "bolt-on-bits" which screwed up the drag. In the end the old lady didn't have the legs (not talking MRA4 here...well aware that had new donks)

Prehistoric flight control system. I showed the Lockheed Chief Engineer around the kite circa 1993. His comment as he peered down the bays..."hell, havn't seen hydraulics like these since I rebuilt my ol' man's tractor".

Build standards originated in the 1960s...you guys are well aware of the affect that had on the MRA4 project (or to give the name it had when the contract was signed...Nimrod 2000).

Lets nail it down. The MR1 and MR2 were great bits of kit operated by great crews throughout the cold war. They had no equal.

The MR2 should have been replaced in the 1990's by a P3 variant. The AEW/Nimrod 2000 project were both a crock of crap, which many, many knowledgable operators predicted. Loyalty (and because it became the only game in town) meant many kipper fleet people stuck with it to the end. All of them should tell it as it now...they were all totally shafted. As was the British taxpayer.

Where does the blame lie? All over the shop. Does it matter? Not really...unless we ever need an MPA capability again. Then it might.