PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 9
Thread: Ryanair - 9
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 20:47
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see Liverpool struggeling to attract new Ryanair routes. It has lost many key routes like Milan, Riga and Rome to Manchester and has suffered frequency cuts on routes alongside Manchester and any new route developments like routes to Seville or a new service to Venice which I think Ryanair needs from the north other than their Leeds/Bradford service are probably going to be from Manchester. I see Ryanair developing Manchester into a significant base, something around the size of their bases at Frankfurt-Hahn or Stockholm-Skavsta in the future.

Despite that, Liverpool may fight back. When Ryanair opened their Birmingham base in 2008, East Midlands lost some routes such as Bratislava and Derry, which remain from Birmingham and not East Midlands to this day. Budapest operated out of East Midlands until it was axed, then later announced from Birmingham. East Midlands has coped very well though, still accounting for the majority of Ryanair growth in the Midlands over recent years but is coming more apparent that East Midlands is the favourite for summer sun routes (now with Greece and a very good choice of flight frequencies and routes to Spain) whilst Birmingham is slightly more towards the city destinations. The same appears to have emerged in Scotland with Prestwick offering the "bucket and spade" routes and Edinburgh with the cities. Common sense may suggest that the same will happen between Liverpool and Manchester however with Liverpool being quite reliant on city routes, especially to Ireland whilst seeing cutback with both city and sun destinations recently, and Manchester having established a good mix both, then it might suggest Liverpool is going to lose out to Manchester!