PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow Airport - JET 2 smoke in cockpit - emergency services called
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 19:56
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swordfish41,

I may not have been very clear. What I meant was that before working on the 737, I had never noticed that there was no slide from the over wing exit rather than that I didn't actually realise that until reading this thread. As I said, it is easy to forget that while we know the characteristics of the particular types we operate on inside out, it is sometimes easy to forget that for many passengers the aircraft is an alien environment. What may seem obvious to us after years of familiarity, isn't to them.

With regards the evacuation, I said that we are responsible for giving them the information they need to help get themselves out of the aircraft. That doesn't mean that we just open the door and lead the way down the slide, tempting though that may be. It means that in certain circumstances, if they are getting into trouble towards the centre of the aircraft for example, while we are evacuating other passengers at the doors, we might not even be able to get to them in time to help them. If a serious fire is involved that's more or less a certainty, although it won't be for want of trying I can assure you. Then there's the possibility that we may be injured or worse ourselves. Therefore, we have to ensure that during the briefing, we give as much information as we can to give people the best chance in a worst case scenario but without giving them so much that they end up zoning out before the end. Does that make more sense?

Finally, I can't speak for other airlines but our over wing briefing consists of door operation, instructions on the seat back, safety card, suitability check and willingness of passenger to operate exit if necessary. I do and have moved unsuitable passengers. If it's explained properly, most are happy to move. Those that refuse are given the option of another seat or the airbridge.

Last edited by jetset lady; 22nd Oct 2012 at 21:24. Reason: correct username