PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I really need some advice regarding education and pilot career
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 18:14
j4mi3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really need some advice regarding education and pilot career

Hi guys

I love flying, and would love a career as a pilot. Originally I wanted to fly in the RAF, but I didn't get the A-levels, or have the required eyesight to do this.

This leaves me with the option of becoming a commercial pilot.

At the moment, I am at university, but the problem is, it is not exactly a prestigious university, and the course has absolutely nothing to do with aviation. It is music production, music being one of my main hobbies in life.

Trouble is, I am not actually enjoying the course. I don't like the university, the people or the town, and whilst music is a hobby of mine, I am not too sure I want a career in it.

The reason my A levels were poor is I had no career goal! If I had known I wanted to be a pilot when I was 16 I would have tried 120% but this only occurred right after I finished school (and my parents bought me a trial lesson for my birthday).

I got (brace yourself) Biology (D), Sociology (D), Music Technology (C), Photography (C) and I also did music for AS where I got a D.

Now I know these are abysmal. I am much better than this, but of course it's the grades that matter, not my regret. I must reiterate. I am not delusional. I know for a fact I am capable of being a pilot, I wouldn't be prepared to invest money in it otherwise. But what's done is done, and unfortunately these are the grades I got. I probably would have got all As/Bs had I tried hard.

I am worried. To put it simply.

I am studying for my PPL as we speak, and I am confident I will do well in the practical aspect and in the exams. I have flown 15 hours so far and been solo 3 times.

I am looking at doing modular training after I have finished my PPL (and got my night rating and required hours).

But I am concerned after I have done all my training, I will have no hope with getting into an airline due to my awful A level results.

In addition, if I quit my degree, that is going to be even worse - but I am just not happy doing it. I haven't been happy since I started (mainly the people/uni itself. I have tried ignoring this and just going for the piece of paper at the end, I still can't do it)

Will airlines simply not employ be if I have mediocre A levels, and no degree? Would my chances be considerably higher if I got the degree, even if it was nothing to do with aviation?

For the record, I currently have a job at waitrose (it is my first job) x2 a week, but if I quit uni I would obviously do overtime as much as possible. It would probably take me a good 4 years to raise enough money to start training. But there is hope. This is not including bonus and opportunities for promotion.

Can you guys advise me please?