PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ahhhh Austerrrrrrrrrr (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2003, 04:27
GotTheTshirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in the late 60's the Autair International social club bought an Auster. A magnificent beast.
Of course the main users were the F/O's but a couple of G/E's had PPL's
Anyhow we operated BAC 1-11 which contained a few parts made by abNormalair in Yeovil. One afternoon big panic for an air valve from Yeovil so one of the G/E's ( Martin) volunteered to go to Yeovil in the Auster and pick it up.

Coming back early evening and the clouds got lower and the ground got higher so he prudently elected to put in down on what looked a reasonable bit of grass. On landing the ground had a rise and he caught the prop on the ground.

By now it pouring down so he walks back to a building which turned out to be a golf club. He knocked on the door and said he had just had to land an aircraft on the Golf course. The guy apparently said " You havn't damaged the greens have you? "

Martin called in and said he would kip for the night and come in to Luton the next morning mentioning that he would just trim the prop tip that was damaged and cut and equal bit of the other blade which he did, with a purchased hacksaw !

I was in front of the hangar next morning waiting for the valve to fit, talking to our local ARB (CAA) man Ernie.
As Martin taxied up with quite a racket he stopped in front of the hangar and shut off, showing a very broad white newly cut prop tip. Ernie turned round said "I dont think I want to see this !"
and walked away !D

Dont know what happened to the machine in the end.

Ahhhhhhh Austers: