PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 17:05
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a weighing up of risk factors and what is likely to happen and what is not likely to happen.

You pay a premium for having a CAPS.

Now would the investment of that premium in other things negate more risk than investing it in CAPS? Say flying weekly instead of monthly.

To me and I suspect a few others an extra 55ltrs of fuel is more useful than the very remote possibilty of an engine failure. Again the same for flying over terrian which diverts need to planned sometimes hours in advance if the fuel is getting used not as predicted. Hell even sitting in the hold is preferable and getting where you actually want to go.

Now having my fair share of Spinnaker cockups in yachts in British waters I would love to see what happens when a chute plane goes in with even 10 knts of wind. I have seen mil drops go in the drink with chutes attached and they wern't floating, highly amusing, lots of swearing. Thats why they throw rafts out without chutes when dropping to stranded sailors.