PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 16:24
Big Pistons Forever

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts
I think it is unfortunate that virtually every thread that deals with Cirrus aircraft eventually ends up in circular arguments about whether the CAPs encourages risk taking and an implied certainty that "real" pilots don't need a parachute.

The CAP's is a capability like all other aspects of the aircraft. The folks that do the hard thinking about the when and why of how they will utilize the capability are also the ones least likely to use it.

The Muppets who couldn't be bothered to research the considerable amount of advice and opinion available through COPA and other sources, self brief their SOP, practice deployment scenarios etc etc are the ones most likely to need the capability and most likely to not use/miss use it.

In other words it is just like every other part of GA. The Muppet quotient is IMO about the same in Cirrus pilots as it is in Bonanza/Commanche/C210/Lance/Robin etc etc pilots.

The choice for me is easy. The CAPs does not sufficently ameliorate the risk of flying a single engine aircraft at night or over water or unlandable terrain. Therefor I only do those trips in multi engine aircraft. However like MJ I have much more experience then most GA pilots because I fly for a living. I also have regular training in Multi engine aircraft emergencies. The bottom line is unless you have comparable experience I think my personal opinion on using CAPs is irrelevent to your particular situation.

What is important is that if you fly a CIrrus aircraft that you do the research into what it can and can't do for you and come up with some personal SOP's that you can use to help make the hard choice when the bad thing happens and the pressure is on......

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 22nd Oct 2012 at 16:28.