PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing distance available
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 12:23
9.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Practically, as a humble airframe driver, I'd like to know whether the runway I'm about to land on is long enough, given the prevailing conditions and my state of urgency. All I have to go on is LDA from the charts and LDR from 50' from the manuals, as approved by the regulatory authority.
You're obviously a Boeing driver judging by the terminology used. Well, airbus came out with the LPC which includes a landing performance module. All those unresolved issues are tackled with this piece of wonderful software. It takes into account all the published data for the approach, landing and missed approach. TCH, manual landing or auto land and calculates operational landing distances. MEL can be included as well. There's your solution mate. No need to know all this crazy stuff. Just punch in the numbers and the screen either blinks in green GO or NO GO (emergency GO) in red. Nice, isn't it? Obviously not every operator wants to spend the cash on this tool but it pays off especially if RWY limited or contaminated combined with MEL.