PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expired ATPL , is there any hope?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 12:02
Wildbluewander

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expired ATPL , is there any hope?

I have decided to look again into a flying career following a break from flying of just over 6 years.

The trouble is i did my ATPL back in 2000 and my associated civvy IR (done on a Herc) ran out then, although i did keep current on my aircraft type with a valid RAF IRT until Aug 2006.

I have spoken to the CAA and been through the CAP and to my horror it looks like i have to do all my theory exams again, which is not a great option. So here are some questions:

1. Can i use my last IRT on the Herc (exp Apr 07) to count towards keeping my ATPL current? This would get me under the 7 year rule and be a good thing.
2. I had an IRT done by somone i believe was a civvy rated IRE and that would have an expiry date of 4 Nov 05, bit close but still sub 7 years, however, no CAA paperwork was filed for the test.
3. Would it be easier to start again under the Military exemption scheme and apply for a new license based on my most recent flying up until 2006.
4. Do you know anyone who has fallen foul of this 7 year rule who got it sorted without resorting to great expense and time wasting?
5. Do you have any spare tissues.

All suggestions greatly appreciated and though it doesn't show in my typing my face reflects a reasonable degree of stress.