PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scared of flying - A380 safe?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 11:51
taybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recommend taking flying lessons to reduce your fear. It takes away many elements of the unknown, making it a whole lot less scary. I know a number of people who have learned to fly and successfully conquered their fear of flying.

I've also heard generally good feedback about the "Fear of flying" courses run by people such as BA and Virgin, which might be cheaper than learning to fly!

I took a passenger for a flight a couple of weeks ago - she was terrified but didn't want her kids to see that she was. She'd spent 16 years flying as SLF for her job and absolutely hated it. But, she decided to go ahead with our little trip. We talked through exactly what was going to happen and why, and she had the freedom to call a stop to it at any time. We lined up, took off, turned in the circuit okay and departed the circuit for general handling during which she had a go of the stick. I then suggested we could go back and she wanted to stay up longer! So we did, and she loved it. By the time we were on short final she was waving to her family, and taxying in she had a grin from ear to ear.

Just telling you this to let you know that it is possible to face and conquer your fear. It's not wrong to be afraid, it's perfectly reasonable when stuff's going on that you don't understand and are not in control of. But that gives you a clue as to how to address the fear.

Good luck!