PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shipping a car from the USA
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 10:10
NGFellow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer some of the questions asked.

1. I used CAREX international ( I googled the subject and found them). Their charges were $1700 and covered all costs (including pick up, insurance and customs fees) at the point of origin, in my case JAX. Just remember just because they pick your car up on a certain day, it may be a few weeks before it gets on a ship that's sailing to Jebel Ali, due to sail dates. I used the cheapest method of shipping (RO/RO). Car arrived with no damage whatsoever. It took about 6 weeks.

2. A few days before the ship made port, the handling agent here contacted me. I had to pay AED 300 for a delivery order. I then hired Starlight Freight LCC in Bur Dubai to clear the car because my shipping agent wanted a lot more money to clear it. Star Light charged me AED 1000 for their services plus I had to pay 5% duty on the value and nominal customs inspection fees. Total was AED 2750.

3. I then got it inspected and registered for AED 1435. I used an agent for that as well and it took about 6 hrs.

4. You can import an older car. My car is 8 years old, but with very low mileage.