PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Chute Pull - (Post landing Video) Birmingham Alabama 6th Oct 2012
Old 22nd Oct 2012, 09:52
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But for me and I suspect you as well, with my experence and skill level, the cost V reduction in risk level is not worth the reduction in risk by having one. As I said the additional 55ltrs of fuel would reduce my risk exposure more.
MJ

For pilots like you and maybe me we are unlikely to loose it in cloud or if we do not recover.
We probably know enough about icing not to push into icing we cannot loose with a short descent.

With an engine failure in most cases we would force land but over your lovely rugged mountains I would probably pull the chute.

I would pull the chute at night but then question whether I should be there and probably would not if the chute was not there.

The main reasons especially as you get older is the known fact that if anything happens to you your passengers well briefed have a good chance of survival.
The fact that you have a chute will probably encourage more of your chums to risk life and limb flying with you anyway
I read one successful chute pull where the pilot suffered a stroke on his own and came to long enough to pull the chute.

Should it be used as a cure all for every situation even when the aircraft is perfectly flyable??
My guess is something is wrong with training, examination, currency, ability etc!
Reading others here I have probably changed my mind and now accept that there are a bunch of not up to it pilots in the mix (as well as good ones)
If your a good one decide when and in what circumstances you will resort to the chute the rest ??? Go for the chute as a SOP as you are better alive than dead.

Pace