PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remember the OASC Aptitude Tests ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2012, 15:13
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
I remember those 2 machines - the steering wheel and the drum with the spiral of metal contacts with a delayed connecting wiper arem. But I spotted immediately that if you kept your eyes glued to the top of the drum and steered as though you were on that bit, it was dead easy. Hence my score was pretty good.

On the stick and rudder pedals CRT dot device, it was quite simple to keep the dot within the target zone. You also had to move a 'throttle' lever if a light came on; the thing was, everyones' lights came on one after the other, so you just had to watch them coming on along the row of consoles and move the lever in time with the sequence - again they must have thought I had lightning quick reactions. Wrong, just a little cunning!

One of those things is now at the Newark Air Museum, but doesn't work. Along with an F-4 simulator which does - a much better aptitude tester!

However, I always maintained that half an hour in a Chipmunk and a weekend in a wet tent would soon identify the 'right stuff'!

Last edited by BEagle; 21st Oct 2012 at 15:15.