PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electronic Logbook keeping (need for hand written too?)
Old 21st Oct 2012, 14:10
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electronic Logbook keeping (need for hand written too?)

Is there a requirement to keep and maintain a hand written logbook in EASA land? I keep a computerised logbook which I print and bind with the completion of each 'page' as my hard copy which has sufficed with the CAA in annual audits etc to date but might it be a problem elsewhere? It says on p22 of Part FCL that entries must be made in Ink or indelible pencil, which mine are, when printed out and bound.

I've logged my flights this way for the last 3 years, if find it perfect, due to the fact you input the raw data and you have the option of exporting it in whatever format you like, to suit any countries authority meeting their exact requirements. Summaries of hours by type etc is a doddle when required at LPC for example, invoicing is automatic, and of course I can back it up regularly. I email the file monthly to somewhere in cyberspace for safe keeping in case of loss of the physical copy, or my computer. Problem is that my handwritten logbook is now about 800 flights behind and I don't know whether I need to sit and tediously get it back up to date to prevent problems down the line.

Any thoughts? Any others using LogTen or similar still maintaining or required to maintain a handwritten log?

I can see the obvious argument for saying that it's open to abuse because you can change the history of your flying... Which is true you could, but that's not to say that you would and i'm sure there's always a way for those who want to break the law ('losing' the logbook being one). On the plus side, 'You can change (filter) the history of your flying' if for example coming across from the states and having logged P1 simultaneously with another pilot also logging P1 in a single engined aircraft (not sure how that happens but apparently it's allowed in certain circumstances), which is not accepted but the UK CAA. If you have segregated such flights electronically (easy to do with a tick box) you can easily filter them out when preparing a logbook for the UK CAA for license issue and printing in JAR compliant format - this would not be easy with the handwritten logbook unless one logs such hours in a separate column and can disregard them accordingly.

I started updating my handwritten logbook again as I had a little time on my hands, but once realising how long it will take I thought i'd save it for now, unless it has to be done.

Last edited by Aucky; 21st Oct 2012 at 14:13.