PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things we instructors should teach better
Old 21st Oct 2012, 12:36
Charlie Foxtrot India

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
PFLs.

"pick a field.plan an approach". So many students are only taught this as a box ticking exercise and would be lucky to survive a real one, because they can fixate on one completely unsuitable one, often too close or too far away...there seems to be little evaluation and review taught.

How about set up a glide first, change tanks pump on carb heat hot, then assess which fields within range are suitable? Wouldn't it be nice if they could all spend a day or two at a gliding club because I never have this problem with people who have done some gliding.

And why on the pax brief suddenly tell me to "Take your false teeth out, I've been trained for this!" What, are you a dentist? Is something wrong? How about "we've had an engine failure and I will be landing in a field" first?

And as for the "yank boot shove" method of teaching stall entry and recoveries again how many people think the the recovery from a stall in a banked, balanced attitude is "Full opposite rudder" When I ask which bit of the standard recovery is actually the stall recovery, I often get "Applying full power" as an answer... Some seem to think that a stall will happen on a nice sunny day for no reason at all, few are taught the sort of situations that can lead to this and the fact that you will probably be too disorientated to realise what is going on? (VMC into IMC, low level turns downwind etc)