PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 21st Oct 2012, 08:49
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baston and Phelan.

MB has provided some wonderful, sensible articles and always makes good sense. The articles takes me back to a time when these things were possible. I can without too much fear of contradiction state that most of my operational mentoring was conducted by some great DCA and CAA fellahin; who's names I will not mention.

The first I met looked at me over a cuppa and said "Chief pilot?'. "Yup" says I, innocent like. "Well sort this mess out and I'll see you in three weeks"; throws telephone sized book in my general direction. "Wuzzat" says I, mystified. "It's your show, your manual, you sort it out". End of interview. (not even a biccie that visit).

Three weeks later, office cleaned, coffee made, boots shined and a clean shirt (even pressed it), in rolls 'the man'. Well, it was a long, tough day but I can still remember very well despite the pounding; the patient, well taught lessons I learned that day.

From that time onward DCA and CAA were a respected, liked and dare I say, a slightly admired lot; every good mentor I ever had came from that rare breed.

Then after Seaview came CASA, then after Lockhart came the creature from the swamps 'the Ayatollah' (I ah todal git, Yuk); then Byron who was at least approachable and tried very hard (did I forget Dick ? – Yup); then we got 'He who will not be named', paraded about by the 'Golden West Mafia' as 'the solution'.

I wonder if the damage can ever be repaired. I have and still do talk to some of the 'old guard', they don't get it either. The "C" word is banned at home (old man goes all peculiar, silent and dangerous to mess with).

Much as I do, without a seconds thought support totally what Maurie says, I wonder can we ever achieve what the rest of the world takes for granted, a working relationship with a regulator we trust, an ATSB we can believe in and a world where the only griping on PpRune is about Qantas.

It will take a brave, special person to heal the rift, clean out the corrupt, fire the incompetent, purge the lazy (names and addresses can be supplied) and bring the name of 'the authority' to mean anything else but "Oh ****, the bastards are here again, count the bloody paper clips".

Thanks to AA and PDP for publishing a great article, but I worry; 1984 is much closer to the mark. But; we live in hope.

Selah.

Last edited by Kharon; 21st Oct 2012 at 10:04. Reason: Hiccups? perhaps