PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of Autoland in Adverse Weather
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2012, 00:50
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one of the key things about flying is to be ahead of the game...think ahead and accomplish things which will make your flight safer and avoid problems.

it sounds like you aren't thinking ahead...until you posted your question.

IF your plane, the airfield and crew are all certified for CAt 2 or 3 autoland and the wx is right at Cat ONE mins...you have a choice...and you should make it about 15 minutes before you are at the outer marker.

IF the airfield' s wx is above cat one mins and suddenly goes to mins or below, you can't suddenly go back in time and brief your approach.

you should be sharp enough to hand fly the plane and do a great ILS approach. In the simulator, we trained hand flying to 100'DH instead of 200'. We NEVER actually flew in real conditions to 100' dh hand flying...that's breaking the rules.

So, if things get tough at DH you should know what you are going to do by shear pilot instinct (learned after many years).

The magic of the simulator does not really do justice to the critical moment of TRANSITIONING TO VISUAL at DH. I wrote an article about it and its somewhere on the forum here...maybe in the private pilot area. I put it there to help out private pilots.

That splash of rain, and the inability of the windshield wipers to handle it can be a handful. But a pilot knows that can happen.

I think boeing wipers are above average. I think douglas wipers were better. If you have your wipers on at one speed, brief to the non flying pilot to be ready to switch to high speed upon your command or when he thinks its needed.

How many people brief wiper speed and commands during a flight?

YOu can also brief the use of landing lights...sometimes its better to keep them off at night if the conditions are right at minimums.

Also ask ATC to set the runway lights to YOUR preference. Sometimes using different runway light settings can optimize your chances to get in.

Its alot to know...but either play for keeps or get out of the cockpit.