PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2012, 22:42
tommee_hawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canberra T4/T17

I was a Nav on 360 between 1984-1986. Safety speed on a T4 was 140kt, T17 was 150kt. EFATO was 10 degrees towards the live engine after reducing power to avoid uncontrollable roll. Never forget B Cornes saying "Oh, f*ck" at 130kt during departure - after some 1980's CRM, it was established that Gringo's comment was due to leaving his sortie charts in Sqn, not an Imminent T17 disaster!

Icing letdown was carried out with 6000rpm+/-50 from entering the icing layer until assured of touchdown(flaps etc, no bomb doors on T17, and cleared to land at start of procedure) - except for Ken Robson at Bodo who was cleared for an icing approach, broke cloud at 600ft to see a civ jet lined up for departure). Ken executed a (very careful) missed approach to join a low-level circuit to land.

I recall during IRT that the "pilot student" had to slow down, single-engine, to establish max asymmetric control speed (individual to each driver, but still scary down the back). This established the strength of the driver's leg to hold the rudder.

Can any former Canberra chums tell me what happened to Lt Cdr Ken Lamprey, Sqn Ldr John Ritchie, Sqn Ldr Bill Purchase (T17 legend), Dave H-E, or any other 360 Sqn/ 231 OCU staff between 1983 - 1986, I'd love to hear it.

I remember arriving on 360 Sqn and asking about leave to sort out my quarter to be told by Andy Anderson that two things didn't exist on 360 - "lunch and a leave pass". Then he laid back, in his flying suit and slippers(!) and went back to sleep....... Simon Blake ended up as OC Scampton, but Gp Capt Blake still owes me £20 000 after a "slightly tired" snooker game during the Leuchars Air Show in 1986, I think. Still have the cheque somewhere.....

Last edited by tommee_hawk; 20th Oct 2012 at 22:56.